I’ve been dabbling with homemade aero extensions for a couple of years now, but this week I decided to order a commercial set. Here’s the background of my buying decision …
I came back to Time Trialling around 2009 using my Trek Madone road bike. I was slower than I was when I was 16. I started to look at way to get faster without spending too much money. That worked up to a point but I soon got bitten by the bug and started to “invest” …
We have seen some dramatic developments in extension design in the past 12 months. A team mate of mine did some experimentation with foam and heat shrink. I copied him using balsa wood (!)
I hadn’t had the opportunity to test the Met Drone against the Race 8 until recently. I did one set of tests before our club circuit TT last Wednesday and another set of tests today. The results were consistent within the margin of error.
My 51 P3C was getting a bit scruffy, it was time for a re-finishing. Here are some details of the changes and components used to set the bike up for the 2019 TT season.
My focus in the winter months is on training and preparation for the next season. Most of my training is highly structured workouts on the turbo, however, I do get out and do some real world riding occasionally, and this is the bike I am using at the moment ……
The standard method is to measure height from the ground and off-set of the saddle nose from the centre line of the bottom bracket. This works well on a single bike but is not ideal when trying to replicate the back-end geometry between different bikes. Here’s an alternative method that I use …..
If you go to an event and observe the riders on time trial machines you will see a wide range of front end positions. Getting the most efficient position for both aero performance and power production is the Holy Grail. In this post I attempt to give some structure to the process of finding that position ….
I book a three hour slot at Newport Velodrome once or twice a year, and use the data to validate my “open field” test results and to refine options. In this session I was benchmarking a 54 P3 with a new configuration of bars and wheels. In parallel I tested some shoe and helmet combinations.
Some pretty basic wheel and tyre comparisons – I’m limited by the availability of wheels and testing equipment, but …..
- Page 1 of 2